Happy Thanksgiving

I want to wish you a very happy Thanksgiving. The importants of Thanksgiving really hit me the other day while I was in a refugee camp talking to a young man. Refugee camps are a political statement here. Refugees don't want to leave the camps because they will loose their refugee status. This would mean that they would never have any chance to return to their original pre-war home. This young man is a fourth generation refugee, he speaks of returning to a home that he has never seen and that doesn't exist anymore. The unemployment rate in his town is 80 percent. Education is too expensive. There is little hope for him. It is pointless for him to try and go to school, because he only has a 20 percent chance of landing a job. Probably less because most jobs come from inside the family. For lack of a better option, he turns to anger and rebelion to fill his time.
This gets me to thinking. I come from a place where people freak out when the unemployment rate hits 8 percent. I have had six cars, a good job, a house, and traveled the world. I have always had enough and even grown a little fat because of all of the relaxing and eating in all my spare time. I did all of this without really trying that hard. Take a minute and think about how lucky you are.
I miss you guys. I love you. Eat so much Turkey and other good stuff too that you feel a little sick and uncomfortable. Have lots of gas and sleep in the next day for me.

<< Home